August 21st – Study of Secret of Veda:
Sukta 2 of Mandala 1 of the Rig Veda was chanted, translated and discussed. For our interpretation of the Veda, we drew on the Secret of the Veda by Sri Aurobindo and the Siddanjana of Sri Kapali Sastry. Translations and transliterations of the verses were made available.
1. Come, O Life beautiful, these soma-pressings are made ready. Drink of them. Hear the call.
2. Life, thy lovers laud thee with words that express Thee. They have pressed the Soma, they have known the Day.
3. Life, thy filling stream moves towards the giver, widening to drink the Soma.
4. Indra and Vayu, here are the pressings of Soma: come with your satisfying things: for the gladdeners desire you.
5. Vayu, O Indra, become conscious of the pressing of Soma, O rich in plenitude, hither running approach.
6. Vayu and Indra, come to the perfected gift of the presser of Soma, soon with thought inclined, O Leaders.
7. Mitra of purified understanding I call, and Varuna who destroys our hurters, together effecting a clear luminous thought.
8. By the Truth Mitra and Varuna whose touch is on the Truth, and who increase the Truth, enjoy a vast will-power.
9. For us Mitra and Varuna, seers, multiply-born, wide-housed, uphold the strength that does the work.
Translated by Sri Kapali Sastry, Sri M.P. Pandit and Sri Aurobindo (line 9).
August 28th – Study of Savitri:
Savitri Book 1, Canto 4: The Secret Knowledge, was further discussed and studied, using the quotations by the Mother found in Meditations on Savitri.
September 4th – Study of Questions and Answers:
We discussed the Mother’s Q&A, focusing on why true joy is so transient while depression can be much more prolonged. We also explored why there is the mixture of pure psychic emotion and vital feeling in the heart.
September 11th - Study of Secret of Veda:
The final 6 lines of Sukta 2 of Mandala 1 of the Rig Veda were chanted, translated and discussed, with many relevant quotations from Sri Aurobindo’s Secret of the Veda and some input from the Siddanjana.