Guiding Light of The Month

O Lord, how ardently do I call and implore Thy love! Grant that my aspiration may be intense enough to awaken the same aspiration everywhere: oh, may good- ness, justice and peace reign as supreme masters, may ignorant egoism be overcome, darkness be suddenly illu- minated by Thy pure Light; may the blind see, the deaf hear, may Thy law be proclaimed in every place and, in a constantly progressive union, in an ever more perfect harmony, may all, like one single being, stretch out their arms towards Thee to identify themselves with Thee and manifest Thee upon earth. - The Mother

The Mother and flowers

The Mother loved flowers. Once I wrote to her that the fragrance of the flowers given by her was extraordinary. She answered: “Flowers are very receptive and they are happy when they are loved”. As an instance of the receptivity of flowers she told me that she had seen a faded flower reviving when Sri Aurobindo held it in his hand for some time. She has also spoken of fresh flowers getting faded in the hands of persons with a closed psychic.

Mother observed flowers in great detail. One day I wrote to her: “Day before yesterday, as I was arranging my vase for You, I said to a flower, “Oh, you are going to Mother!” and it really smiled. The same thing happened again yesterday and today.” She replied, “That is very interesting indeed. Was it a rose or a hibiscus?” I informed her that it was a hibiscus and she wrote:” Yes, this flower is very conscious, I have had many proofs of that.”

There was a time when I offered flowers to Mother in the afternoon. In order to preserve their freshness I kept them in the refrigerator in the morning. The hibiscus which Mother has named Grace is white in the morning and turns pink in the afternoon. Having noticed for some days that it remained white in the fridge, I informed Mother that the Grace flower if kept in the cold does not turn pink. She remarked that it had to be kept not only in the cold, but also in the shade.

On one occasion, in pursuance of an inner feeling, I fitted the pink rose ‘Surrender’ into the top opening of the champa flower ’Psychological Perfection’ so as to look like one whole and offered it to Mother. She looked at it for a while and with a smile of understanding, said amusingly,” I thought there was some new flower!”

(From the Editor’ Desk- ‘Some Socio- Spiritual Perspectives ‘ – Shyam Sunder Jhunjhunwala- ‘Sri Aurobindo ‘s Action ‘, Pondicherry ).
********
The red lotus is the Avatar. The white lotus is the Divine Consciousness The red lotus represents Sri Aurobindo, the white one represents me. In a general way the lotus is the flower of the Divine Wisdom, whatever its colour. But red signifies the Avatar, the Divine incarnated in matter, and white signifies the Divine Consciousness manifested in earth.
- The Mother

No comments: