Guiding Light of The Month

O Lord, how ardently do I call and implore Thy love! Grant that my aspiration may be intense enough to awaken the same aspiration everywhere: oh, may good- ness, justice and peace reign as supreme masters, may ignorant egoism be overcome, darkness be suddenly illu- minated by Thy pure Light; may the blind see, the deaf hear, may Thy law be proclaimed in every place and, in a constantly progressive union, in an ever more perfect harmony, may all, like one single being, stretch out their arms towards Thee to identify themselves with Thee and manifest Thee upon earth. - The Mother

Birthdays and The Mother – Some Reminiscences


It is your birthday tomorrow?
Yes, Mother.

How old will you be?
Twenty-six, Mother.

I shall see you tomorrow and give you something special. You will see, I am not speaking of anything material- that, I shall give you a card and all that- but of something…You will see, tomorrow, now go home and prepare yourself quietly so that you may be ready to receive it.
Yes, Mother.



You know, my child, what “Bonne Fete” signifies, that is, the birthday we wish here?
Like that, I know what it means, Mother, but not the special significance you want to tell me.

Yes, it is truly a special day in one’s life. It is one of those days in the year when the Supreme descends into us- or when we are face to face with the Eternal- one of those days when our soul comes in contact with the Eternal and, if we remain a little conscious, we can feel His Presence within us. If we make a little effort on this day, we accomplish the work of many lives as in a lightning flash. That is why I give so much importance to the birthday- because what one gains in one day is truly something incomparable. And it is for this that I also work to open the consciousness a little towards what is above so that one may come before the Eternal. My child, it is a very, very special day, for it is the day of decision, the day one can unite with the Supreme Consciousness. For the Lord lifts us on this day to the highest region possible so that our soul which is a portion of that Eternal Flame, may be united and identified with its Origin.

This day is truly an opportunity in life. One is so open and so receptive that one can assimilate all that is given. I can do many things, that is why it is important.

It is one of those days when the Lord Himself opens the doors wide for us. It is as though He were inviting us to rekindle more powerfully the flame of aspiration. It is one of those days which He gives us. We too, by our personal effort, could attain to this, but it would be long, hard and not so easy. And this- this is a real chance in life- the day of Grace.

It is an occult phenomenon that occurs invariably, without our knowledge, on this particular day of the year. The soul leaves behind the body and journeys up and up till it merges into the Source in order to replenish itself and absorb from the Supreme Its Power, Light and Ananda and comes down charged for a whole year to pass. Then again and again… it continues like this year after year.



(“Sweet Mother – Harmonies of Light”, words recollected by Mona Sarkar, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry)
**************

She greeted me with a BONNE FETE.

‘I want flowers’, she said to Gautam, who was waiting outside.

M: I am grateful for the gifts Mother has sent me (earlier in the day she had sent a special card with her Love and Blessings inscribed and a Rose Flower).
I made pranam and on looking up found her looking into me in a concentrated way. Suddenly, I broke into speech, unpremeditated:
M: I have read much, I have studied and have known many things, I know that you are the greatest manifestation of the Divine in history, without exception (she nodded), I know it. I know what I say. (There was a visible emotion in my being by now.) (She nodded.)
M: I am weak…..

Mother: Hm.
M: Help me.
She had been holding my hands. Now she took my head in her hands and blessed me long.
I felt a new year had opened for me.

14.6.1959

***************
A glorious day!
“What do you want for your birthday?” Mother asked after greeting me.

M: Thy love.
Mother: It is there already, for ever.
M: I want to express it.
Mother began to concentrate, holding my hands. It went on and on. Then she kissed me long on my forehead. She gave me the White Lotus.
M: there is an aspiration all the twenty-four hours to embody something of Thy Consciousness, manifest something of Thy Love, to serve Thee to my last breath.
On the Birthday Card was written:

My love and Blessings for fulfilment of his aspiration!

Once again she gathered me in and poured herself. It was wonderful.
When I came down, B and others were waiting, later B said that as I came, an Ocean was advancing.
14.6.1972

(“Mother and I”, M.P. Pandit, Dipti publications, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry)

(Shri M.P. Pandit’s birth anniversary is observed every year at his residence on 14th of June by a group of admirers and devotees He is remembered with reverence and gratitude and the day is celebrated with prayer and release of new books, followed by a visit to Sri Aurobindo’s room and meditation in the evening)


*************

On my birthday in 1953, the Mother greeted me with her usual “Bonne Fete” and then started in French, with a sweet smile, “Quel age avez-vous?” (How old are you?)

Myself: 51 ans passes, Douce Mere. (51 years over, Sweet Mother.)
Mother: Vous etes encore enfant (You are still a child.) Then holding both my hands, she resumed in English: “You feel better now?”
Myself: Yes, Mother. I feel much better and stronger, but I can’t get rid of the suggestion that I am getting on in age…
Mother: No, you must not listen to it. It is a collective suggestion thrown upon everybody. One can go on being active in spite of age. I have seen people of 90 who were younger than boys of 10. No, you must get rid of that suggestion altogether.
Myself: I don’t feel at all that I am so old, but the suggestion is there. There are so many things left to be done.
Mother: Exactly. You must not allow that suggestion to disturb you.


(“Memorable Contacts with The Mother”, Nirodbaran, Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry)

No comments: